The aim of this devotional study is to reflect on and apply John the Baptist witness of Jesus Christ.
29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks before me, because he was before me.’ 31 I myself did not know him, but for this purpose I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel.”
32 And John bore witness: “I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. 33 I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.”
Observation and reflection
Context: This event took place in the week leading up to Passover, the feast by which the Jews celebrate God’s great deliverance of the ancestors from Egyptian slavery. During this festival every family ought to slaughter a lamb and eat unleavened bread while retelling the history of this great deliverance.
- List everything that John the Baptist reveals about
- The identity of Jesus.
- The ministry of Jesus.
- From where does John get his confidence about the identity and ministry of Jesus? [verses 32-34]
- Considering the context and timing of this witness of Jesus, why John’s declaring of Jesus being “the Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world” draw so much attention? And what would that mean for the Jews who came out to be baptized by John?
Personal reflection and Application
From this portion we can learn that John’s witness has three important elements: (1) a witness to who Jesus is; (2) a witness to what Jesus has done; (3) a witness to how someone can personally know Him.
- Prepare to witness like John:
- John announced Jesus as “the Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world”, “one on Whom the Spirit rests” (or “the Christ/ Anointed One of God”), and “the Son of God”. Who do you KNOW Jesus to be?
- John witnessed that Jesus would die for the sins of the world. What do you KNOW has Jesus done for you personally?
- John knew Jesus by the voice of God and the Spirit of God – he had a special revelation of who Jesus was and what He would do. How do you KNOW Jesus? And how can someone KNOW Him the way you do?
- Contact a Christian friend – make an appointment to share this with him/ her. Ask him/her for feedback.
- Find a non-believer and ask them if you can share something personal with them – then witness to them about who you know Jesus is, what He has done and how he/she can know Him.
Thank God for what Jesus has done for you. Ask for boldness and accuracy to witness in sincerity.