The Aim of this devotional study is to know Jesus and his ministry on earth, as well as his relationship with God the Father and Holy Spirit.
[The context: It’s a while after Pentecost, and Peter is presenting the gospel to non-Jews in Cornelius’ house for the first time after the Lord Jesus gave him a vision to not prevent them from the gift of salvation]
36 “As for the word that he sent to Israel, preaching good news of peace through Jesus Christ (he is Lord of all), 37 you yourselves know what happened throughout all Judea, beginning from Galilee after the baptism that John proclaimed: 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.
39 And we are witnesses of all that he did both in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They put him to death by hanging him on a tree, 40 but God raised him on the third day and made him to appear, 41 not to all the people but to us who had been chosen by God as witnesses, who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42 And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead.”
(Note: use a pen and paper today – it won’t take longer but you will learn so much more!)
- What did Peter tell the Cornelius’ household of the life and ministry of Jesus? (what Jesus did and will do).
- From this preaching, what would Cornelius’ household learn about the names, titles and offices of Jesus? (who Jesus is)
- In this sermon of Peter we learn quite a bit about the God being three-in-one. What does Peter reveal to the non-Jewish hearers about the relationship between God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit?
- Have you experienced Jesus as the Healer and Deliverer yet? How and when?
- How do you relate to Jesus as “Lord of all” (10v36)
- Peter preached that Jesus will be your “judge”? How do you feel and how do you reason about that?
- Peter said “Jesus commanded us to preach and testify…” – who is the first person that comes to mind that need to hear Jesus saving gospel?
- Do you need healing or deliverance? Pray to the Healer and Deliverer!
- Pray a prayer of submission (your whole life or one specific aspect) to Jesus, the Lord of All.
Pray with David to Jesus, the Judge of All the verses below, then respond to what the Lord shows you in prayer.
Psalms 139:23-24 “Search me, [Lord[, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!”
God bless you with confidence today!