The aim of this devotional Bible Study is to learn about the life-giving Holy Spirit Jesus promised about.
37 On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.
38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.”
39 But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
Note: “The feast” refer to the Feast of Tabernacles (7:2). For the first 7 days of the feast the priests would bring water from the Pool of Siloam and pour it in a silver basin by the altar (pointing to the water the Lord made appear from the rock to miraculously to sustain the Jews during their desert dwelling in tents for the 40 years). “On the last day” the priests brought no water, which is when Jesus stood there and cried out “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink…” just before the feast finished an all left for home.
- Considering this setting, what is the message Jesus tried to convey to the religiously devout people of his day who attended this feast? What would you have understood if you were there?
- Reflect through comparison:
- Only Jews could celebrate the feasts and approach God – but to whom did Jesus extend this invitation?
- Jews were invited to come to God via the temple and be satisfied – but to where did Jesus invite them to be satisfied?
- The Jews in the wilderness drank but had to drink again – what did Jesus promise those who “drink from him”?
- The water usually poured into basins during the feast came from a still pool – what did Jesus promise would come via him?
- Summaries the invitation of Jesus in your own words from your answers above.
- What did Jesus means when he said ‘streams of living water will flow from those who believe?”
- Moving beyond the metaphor of “water” – what does Jesus promise you and me in this text through the indwelling Holy Spirit?
- Evaluate yourself honestly
a. Are you fully satisfied through the indwelling Holy Spirit? Or do you still long for something? Elaborate.
b. Do streams of living water overflow from you? When and how?
Honestly talk to God about this promise of Jesus – thanking him for the gift his indwelling Sprit. Then pray that today you be attentive to “overflow” and share this abundant life with others who cross your path. Is there anyone you know who needs it? Pray for something to share with them!