The Aim of this Biblical Study is to grow in the knowledge of the humanity of Jesus Christ.
14 Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
1 For every high priest chosen from among men is appointed to act on behalf of men in relation to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. 2 He can deal gently with the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is beset with weakness. 3 Because of this he is obligated to offer sacrifice for his own sins just as he does for those of the people.
4 And no one takes this honor for himself, but only when called by God, just as Aaron was. 5 So also Christ did not exalt himself to be made a high priest, but was appointed by him who said to him, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you”…
7 In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. 8 Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered. 9 And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him.
- What are the names and titles attributed to Jesus in this passage? What do each mean or imply about the person and ministry of Jesus?
- Read through the passage above and mark every phrase that highlights the humanity of Jesus.
- According to this passage, what are the qualifications of a high priest? How does Jesus fulfill it?
Application and prayer
- If you were a struggling addict, or someone constantly resisting sexual temptations, or a tired mother battling to keep her rage intact with a rebellious three-year old, but you want to please God from your heart – which parts of this passage would be comforting to you? Why?
- Write your three biggest character weaknesses / habitual sins (pray and think before you write). In which way can the man, Jesus relate to your struggle?
- Now in prayer approach Jesus your High Priest boldly and pray for mercy for forgiveness, as well as grace to overcome these fleshly weaknesses. (Be sincere – pray for a while with passion from your heart).
- Now pray for someone close to you who struggle to overcome some fleshly weakness, and afterwards send them an encouraging message – or even better – visit them personally and encourage them in Christ.
Note: Image “Approach the Throne of Grace as a Child” found at https://wolfspain.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/10-04-11-approach_throne_child.jpg