The aim of this devotional study is to reflect on the power and consequence of the indwelling Spirit of God.
9 You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.
10 But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.
12 So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs–heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
- Slowly read this portion of Paul’s argument of “life in the Spirit” again and summarize what Paul teaches about our life because of indwelling Holy Spirit in the following sections
- Verse 9
- Verses 10-11
- Verses 12-13
- Verses 14-17
- Consider the titles Paul attributes to the Holy Spirit in this section; what do we learn about the Holy Spirit in each of these titles?
- The Spirit of God (v9, 14)
- The Spirit of Christ (v9)
- The Spirit of Him Who raised Jesus from the dead (v11)
- The Spirit who dwells in you (v11)
- The Spirit of adoption (v14)
This short passage contain rich truths with great promises of the believers blessed life through the indwelling Spirit. How do each of these following truths impact your life today?
- If you have the Spirit of Christ you belong to Him. (v9)
- The resurrection Spirit dwells in you. (v11)
- The Holy Spirit lives inside of you. (v13)
- The Spirit of adoption testifies that you are a child of God. (v16)
Thank God for the indwelling Spirit – and the blessing he is to me (elaborate from previous point). Then take any one of the following truths from this text and prayerfully meditate in it (through repetition and prayerful contemplation) so that you receive revelation from the Holy Spirit about it.
- I belong to Christ. (v9)
- The Spirit of Him who raised Christ from the dead dwells in me. (v11)
- I am a debtor to (live according to) the Spirit. (v13)
- The Spirit bears witness that I am a child of God. (v16)