The aim of this devotional study is to reflect on the nature and purpose of marriage, today highlighting the blessing of children.
Malachi 2:14-15 [ESV]
14 But you say, “Why does [the Lord not answer our prayers]?” Because the LORD was witness between you and the wife of your youth, to whom you have been faithless, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant. 15 Did he not make them one, with a portion of the Spirit in their union? And what was the one God seeking? Godly offspring. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and let none of you be faithless to the wife of your youth.
Psalms 127:3-5 [GNB]
3 Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a real blessing. 4 The sons a man has when he is young are like arrows in a soldier’s hand. 5 Happy is the man who has many such arrows. He will never be defeated when he meets his enemies in the place of judgment.
- What are the general cultural attitudes towards marriage and children?
- Consider Malachi 2:15
- What was on God’s mind when he made the husband and wife one?
- What does that suggest about God’s perspective on marriage and children?
- Reflect on Psalm 127:3-5
- Reading this, what attitudes does the Psalmist express about the Lord, marriage and children?
- In your own words express what the Psalmist reveals about children and marriage.
- Why would children be a vindication when one’s enemies accuse you?
Personal reflection and Prayer
When God make a husband and wife one, he has “godly offspring” in mind. When he adds children to a marriage his intent is goodness, joy and prosperity.
- When you think about marriage and children, what feelings does it conjure up?
- If you are married and already have children:
- What joy and wealth of life have they have brought into your home?
- How can you communicate to them that they are indeed a blessing and gift to you?
- Search your heart: would you receive more children as gifts from God? Pray about that!
- Thank God for the gifts.
- If you do not have children:
- How does today’ devotional study challenge your thinking about God’s intent in marriage?
- Pray to God about your attitudes and expectations of marriage and children.
- Have you considered the blessing that parents are to children?
- Have you considered adopting children?
- Are adopted children also a gift and blessing from the Lord?
- Prayerfully consider adopting children.