The aim of this devotional study is to reflect on security and affections relating to possessions.
19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Observations and reflections
Note: Matthew 6:19-34 contain Jesus’ revolutionary teachings on possessions, money and security. We will focus on one or two such teachings each day and consider our own thoughts and actions in the light of his words.
- Read the text above again and in your own words summarize Jesus’ teaching regarding money contained in these verses.
- Regarding the “treasures on earth / in heaven” metaphor:
- What are the “treasures on earth”? What does Jesus mean? Give examples of what earthly treasures could be for you.
- Why does Jesus say one should not store up “treasures earth”? He mentions two things – but what is his core motive?
- What are the “treasures in heaven”? [hints: (1) what are the things God promise to reward eternally? (2) what remains beyond this life?]
- What two reasons do Jesus give to motivate the gathering of “heavenly treasures”?
- What is the link between one’s treasure and one’s heart?
- Consider the material possessions you cherish most – list it.
- In which ways can it be lost or destroyed?
- In the light of our eternity and the temporal nature of earthly things – how significant is this “earthly treasure”?
- Consider your [attempt at] monetary savings – why do you [desire to] do it?
- In the light of Jesus teachings in the text above – how should you consider your money now?
- What will you do today to “store up treasures in heaven”? Write it down as to-do list.
Ask the Lord to give you an eternal perspective that permeates through to your daily decisions. Pray about your heart’s affections and security regarding earthly treasures. Bring your desires from more and trust in much to God. And commit to obey Him and store u treasures in heaven.