Godly leaders live and minister from conviction, keeping the passion for lost people in mind.
In this short inspirational session André Kruger shows why leaders must grow in the evangelistic anointing. Todays’ devotional study is inspired by a devotional reading in his book Increasing Heaven’s Flow (Day 31 Deep Conviction, p75). For more on his teachings and book go to www.heavensflow.org
1 Thessalonians 1:4-5
4 For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, 5 because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake. 6 And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit, 7 so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia.
Observation and personal reflection Questions
- Why could Paul and his company be convinced be convinced that the “God… has chosen” the Thessalonian believers? (verse 4)
- From this text, what do you learn about…
- …how God viewed the Thessalonians? (verse 4)
- …the preaching of Paul and his company? (verse 5)
- …the response to Paul’s preaching? (verse 6-7)
- Test yourself in the light of this Scripture. How have you grown in the…
- …confidence and freedom to preach the gospel? What inhibits you?
- …the demonstration of the power of the gospel in preaching? What prevents you?
- …sensitivity to the Holy Spirit’s leading in the sharing of the gospel? What obstructs you?
- …personal conviction in the sharing of the gospel? What causes doubt?
Paul’s whole life and powerful ministry flowed from a deep, shameless conviction about the life-giving gospel of the risen Christ. Truly, he believed all men were dead in their sin apart from Christ, and preached that this Gospel of Jesus Christ was the power of God unto salvation; there was no other name by which man could be saved. Paul’s existence was justified by this conviction.
- Look yourself in the mirror (or look a good Christian friend in the eyes) and answer these questions:
- What do you believe about hell? Why do you believe that?
- What do you believe about eternal life? Why do you believe that?
- What do you believe are the eternal consequences of your neighbors and colleagues who do not trust in Christ only for their salvation? Why do you believe that?
Pray that you may increase in the realities of eternal life and eternal punishment, as well as your personal conviction of Christ’s complete and sure gift of salvation with freedom and demonstration of power in the Holy Spirit.