The aim of this devotional study is to reflect on Jesus ministry and evaluate my own experience of that ministry.
14 Then Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and news of Him went out through all the surrounding region.
15 And He taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all.
16 So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.
17 And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written:
18 “THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME, BECAUSE HE HAS ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR; HE HAS SENT ME TO HEAL THE BROKENHEARTED, TO PROCLAIM LIBERTY TO THE CAPTIVES AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND, TO SET AT LIBERTY THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED;
19 TO PROCLAIM THE ACCEPTABLE YEAR OF THE LORD.”
20 Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him.
21 And He began to say to them, “Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”
- Jesus read from the Scroll of Isaiah 60
- Why would you say Jesus read this Text and implied this was his mandate in ministry?
- Summarize Jesus’ ministry according to this portion of Scripture, describing in your own words what you understand that phrase means.
Jesus ministry (as prophesied by Isaiah more than 700 years before this incident) addressed the biggest problems humankind suffers from because of the sin in the world:
- Poverty (“To preach the gospel to the poor”).
- Sorrow (“To heal the brokenhearted.”)
- Bondage (“To proclaim liberty to the captives.”)
- Suffering (“And recovery of sight to the blind.”)
- Oppression (“To set at liberty those who are oppressed.”)
- In which of these ways have you personally experience the ministry of Jesus as listed in the passage?
- In which way have you witnessed the ministry of Jesus as listed in the passage?
- In which of these ministries have you personally participated for other people’s benefit?
Application and Prayer
- Considering your own life now – in which way of the ways mentioned above do you recognize a real need for Jesus’ ministry in your own life? Articulate that in prayer to Jesus – be real as you ask Him to heal you. (Also contact a mature Christian friend or pastor now to discuss that need with him/her – send that request for appointment now).
- Pray and ask the Lord for a friend or family member who has a real need for Jesus’ ministry as articulated in this Text. Pray as the Lord leads, then send a message of encouragement (perhaps include this Scripture?) and ask how you can pray or help him/ her. (Be ready to minister as you are confident to).