The aim of this devotional study to reflect on the marks of a true disciple .
1 John 2:3-11
3 And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, 5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: 6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.
7 Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word that you have heard. 8 At the same time, it is a new commandment that I am writing to you, which is true in him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining. 9 Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness. 10 Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him there is no cause for stumbling. 11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
Observations and reflections
- What are the two marks of a true disciple John mentions in this text?
- Regarding OBEDIENCE:
- In which three ways does John express a disciple’s obedience to Jesus? [hint: v3, v5, v6]
- Note the progression. What do you understand in each of these three phrases?
- How do you interpret verse 4 above in the light of John’s writing in the previous chapter? “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:8-9)
- Regarding LOVE:
- What “Old Command” is John writing about? And why does he call it “Old”? (v 7)
- List the contrast and explain in your own words the difference between true disciples and false disciples in verses 9-11.
Application and Prayer
- Spend a while in prayerful reflection, asking the Lord if there is any command you have been ignoring / neglecting.
- Ask for grace and commit to obey it
- Send a message to a Christian friend about it now asking to keep you accountable!
- Spend a while in prayerful reflection, asking the Lord if there is any Christian brother/ sister with whom you are at odds with or who has something against you.
- Pray about that now, confess forgiveness and ask for God’s love to fill your heart. [pray until you experience it]
- Then send a message to the person to arrange a meeting for reconciliation.
- Pray that the Lord will fill your heart with pure love and readiness for obedience.