The aim of this devotional study is to grow in appreciation for the role of the Spirit in our eternal salvation.
13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.
In today’s study we will appreciate the rich truth by reflecting on each of the key phrases in the text.
- In your own words write what you understand Paul means when he writes:
- “you also trusted”
- “you heard the word of truth”
- “you were sealed”
- “the Holy Spirit of promise”
- “the guarantee of our inheritance”
- “until the redemption of the purchased possession”
- In your own words explain what Paul taught the Ephesians about the Holy Spirit’s role in their life in these two lines.
- From this text, would you say Paul believed that every believer has the Holy Spirit in them?
- Paul write to the Ephesians about the Holy Spirit as “seal / mark of God” and “guarantee / deposit of their inheritance” of all believers. What truth and emotions SHOULD that evoke in you? What DO you feel when you read that?
- Both a seal / mark and a guarantee / deposit are passive entities that function independently of the item secured. The seal functions as recognition, the guarantee as security. Knowing this – how SHOULD a Christian relate to God and his eternal inheritance? How DO you feel about your relationship with God and your eternal inheritance?
Note: If in reflecting on these two verses above you notice feelings or thoughts that you do not do enough or know enough, flag it to yourself and pray about it – because Paul’s whole point in the text is that EVERY BELIEVER WHO TRUSTS IN CHRIST FOR HIS SALVATION HAS THE INDWELLING HOLY SPIRIT who identifies him as God’s property (“son” in Rom 8 and Gal 4) and has an inheritance secure – his eternal salvation. [As long as you hold faith in Christ]. These two things are not related to your effort. Your salvation and inheritance are gifts from God.
Thank God for his Holy Spirit indwelling you, identifying you as his property & child, and being a payment guarantee of your eternal inheritance! Bring all your uncertainties and fears to him in prayer, and pray that he may fill you with hope and faith.