The Aim of this devotional study is to grow in understanding and desire of the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
1 When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place.
2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. 6 And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language… 12 And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?”
13 But others mocking said, “They are filled with new wine.”
14 But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them: “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words. 15 For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16 But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel: 17 “‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams …”
- What is the reason why Jesus said he will give the Holy Spirit to his disciples, just before he ascended into heaven?
- What happened when the disciples were filled with the Holy Spirit on Pentecost?
- List what Joel prophesied would be the result of the giving of the Spirit on those who would receive the baptism?
- In which way have you received the baptism of the Holy Spirit?
- What has the baptism of the Holy Spirit changed in your witness for the Lord?
- In which way has the baptism of the Holy Spirit changed your ministry to others? How does God minister more powerfully to others through your life because of the baptism of the Holy Spirit you received?
Do you feel empowered to witness for the Lord? Do you experience the power of the Spirit to prophesy and serve others with the grace and power of God? “You have not, because you ask not” (James 4:2), so “ask, that your joy may be full!” (John 16:24)