The Aim of this devotional study is to grow in appreciation for God’s love in saving us.
This short sermon Jam of Matt Chandler will add greatly to this Bible Study:
6 For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.
7 For one will scarcely die for a righteous person–though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die– 8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. 10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.
- “weak” here means helpless, unable to help / save yourself.
- “justified” is a legal term which means to be found faultless/ innocent after enquiry.
- “wrath” here refers to the justified anger of God against rebellious and sinful people opposing His reign.
- “reconciled” here means to make peace between God and man.
- List the various ways in which Paul emphasizes the fact that Jesus died for sinners / bad people.
- From this text explain how can “ungodly” “sinners” who are “enemies of God” escape his “wrath” and be “justified” (found faultless) and reconciled (be at peace) with God the judge of all. [don’t just say “Jesus died” – explain why does that help us?]
- From this text, how would you be assured of God’s love if you frequently fall in sin?
Application and prayer
- This text says God has already proven his love for you in that Jesus died on your behalf to save you from his wrath, while you were still a far away and lost in your sin. Sincerely thank God for this awesome, priceless gift of salvation.
- Do you feel loved by God? Why / why not? Tell God that
Romans 8:32 “He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?”
- What would make you feel loved by God? Tell God that. Ask him to reveal his love.