The Aim of this devotional study is to increase your appreciation and hope for Christ Jesus’ work of salvation.
This short sermon jam of Judah Smith will greatly enhance this Bible Study:
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.
7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.
11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory.
13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.
Note: you will notice very clear correlation between Ephesians and Colossians since they were written in the same time, to similar congregations who shared a similar challenges by the same man, Paul.
- Read through the passage and list the benefits we have in God because of Christ’s saving work in our lives.
- Write down what you understand with these phrases Paul uses to describe Christ’s work of salvation in our lives:
- Blessed us with every spiritual blessing in heavenly places:
- Chose us:
- To be holy and blameless:
- Predestined for adoption as sons:
- To be the praise of his glorious grace:
- Has blessed us in the Beloved:
- Redemption through his blood:
- Forgiveness of sins:
- Unite all things in him:
- Obtained an inheritance as sons:
- Predestined according to his purpose:
- Sealed with the Holy Spirit as guarantee of our inheritance:
- What does Paul mean with the phrase “hope in Christ”?
- Reflect on what you know of Scripture (and even what is above). What are you sure of is yours eternally because of what Christ has accomplished for you. What is your inheritance in Christ – what do you hope for in the life to come?
Pray the following five things for yourself and your small group (or someone you love) the first prayer of Paul for the Ephesians:
17 [I pray] that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, 18 having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might 20 that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.Seal