The Aim of this devotional study is to grow in understanding of God’s work of salvation in us.
3 For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another.
4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
8 The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people.
In this brief section of Paul’s letter to Titus, we learn so much about the saving work of God in our lives. To study this rich section, briefly answer these interrogative questions about Paul and his reader(s):
- Why did need to be saved? (v3)
- When did they get saved? (v4)
- Who saved them? (v4, v5, v6)
- How did they get saved? (v5-7) [Use your own words here].
- What was the motive for God’s salvation? (v4)
- What does the term “become heirs” imply of those who received salvation? (v7)
- What was the logical consequence/ outflow of God’s salvation according to this text? (v8)
Now see how well you understand the author:
- Regarding salvation, what is meant with “regeneration” and “renewal”? (v5) What is regenerated and renewed, and why is it needed in the person being saved?
- What does the term “justified by grace” mean? Why does a person being saved need to be justified? Who does it and how does it happen?
- Can you write down in which way the Holy Spirit has done a work of “washing of regeneration and renewal” in your life? Who can vouch for that transformation?
- What area in your life needs renewal now? [you have to tell someone about these needs!]
Spend some time and thank God for his goodness and kindness in saving you. And thank him for his ongoing washing of renewal and regeneration as you bring your needs in that particular area to him in prayer.