The Aim of this devotional study is to see how in Christ we can fully know God, and how Christ in us can represent God to the world.
John 1:1-18 (ESV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God….
9 The true light, which gives light to everyone, was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. 11 He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. 12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.
14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth… 16 For from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.
17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father’s side, he has made him known.
- What does this text reveal about Jesus Christ?
- According to this section from John, what are the reasons why Jesus came to earth?
- Throughout John’s gospel we read references to the Old Testament. This is very deliberate. Compare verses 17-18 with Psalm 89:14 “Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne; Mercy and truth go before Your face.” Note the similarity in sentence structure and nouns – it seems like a deliberate comparison. Write down what you notice and deduce the author wants to communicate.
- Now compare verse 18 with 1 John 4:12
1 John 4:11-12 “11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.”
- If Jesus came to reveal God the Father to us, how would you describe God’s character/ nature (in 5 points)? Think of the life of Jesus before you write down anything.
- Considering 1 John 4:12, how can you represent God to the world?
- What will you do today to represent God to the world?
Pray sincerely to know God and represent him well, as His Son Jesus did.